This warm,comforting hot chocolate with hints of chili is not your average drink.Extremely thick and creamy,you will dream about it again and again!!
Today is the day of the#Battle Food 8#organized by my blogger friendMarine en cuisineand we are all supposed to create a hot chocolate recipe!The perfect idea to warm you up in Winter (even if here in Sweden,we are still waiting for the cold)!For those who don't know the concept,the Battle Food (Bataille Foodin semi-manbetx高尔夫球French) is a culinary challenge which gathers the food blogging community and everyone with a huge passion for cooking around a new challenge each month.
A month ago,I took part in my first manbetx高尔夫球French Battle Food ever organized byMiam Addictand the theme was to whip up a slice of bread garnished with yummy and unexpected ingredients (you can find my recipehere).I had so much fun meeting new bloggers and other people who share the same passion for cooking that I decided to do it again this month.So here I am with a hot chocolate recipe!!
I've been thinking quite a lot lately about the hot chocolate recipe I wanted to whip up for this challenge.I even went toAngelinatea room in Paris with a couple of friends (Hi there!).At Angelina,they serve an amazing"chocolat chaud à l'ancienne",an old fashioned creamy hot chocolate which reminds you of the ones you were sipping in your childhood.A must try if you're heading to Paris!!
Because I'm a chocolate lover,I was looking for a recipe which is strong enough in chocolate and really creamy as well,like the one they serve at Angelina but in a slightly different way.Of course as usual,I read many recipes and ended up creating my own one with chilli.
It might sound a little pretentious but I must admit I'm really proud of myself this time!You'll find in this hot chocolate everything you are looking for: a delicious taste of chocolate of excellent quality balanced with the great taste of the milk and a slight hint of chili,all in a very creamy texture.Pure happiness.Or is it bliss??
- ½ vanilla pod
- 1⅔ cups (40 cl) milk
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder,100% cocoa
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1.8 oz (50g) dark chocolate at 70%
- ¾ cup (20 cl) cream
- 1 oz (30g) dark chocolate with chilli (Lindt)
- ½ chili pepper,seeded
- Make a slit through the vanilla pod and scrape the seeds into a medium sized saucepan.Also add the vanilla pod.Pour ⅔ of the milk,honey and the rest of the spices,except for the chili.Boil for a few minutes,then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes,stirring constantly.
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces.In a small saucepan,melt the chocolate together with the cream.Pour the blend into the first saucepan.Pour the remaining ⅓ of milk into the chocolate saucepan to rinse it and then pour it all into the first saucepan.
- Add the half chili (seeded) and simmer for 2 minutes on medium high heat.Then take out the chili,as well as the vanilla pod.It's ready to serve!!